Monday, September 12, 2011

NOT CORN ON THE COB!

Living through the summer with OAS can be challenging and frustrating. There is an abundance of beautiful fruit and vegetables surrounding me, from luscious red raspberries to crisp green beans to cute cherry tomatoes, and I can't have any of it.  But the worst, by far, for me, is corn on the cob. Frozen corn is fine for me, but I have a mild reaction to it on the cob, and therefore I think I should avoid it. The first time this reaction happened, my first thought was, "Oh no! Not corn on the cob!" It had, of course, been cooked and should have been fine for me to eat. The last time I couldn't have corn on the cob was when I was a teenager with braces on my teeth. The presence of the braces made biting into a cob of corn painful at best, impossible at worst.

But, it seems there is a way to replace it. It isn't as much fun, but at least you don't have to watch everyone else eating yummy, buttery corn on the cob while you stare at a plate of lonely meat. The other thing I like about this is that it is almost like eating a real salad! One thing about this one though, avoid the walnuts if you can't tolerate them. I can manage them roasted, but not everyone can.

NOT CORN ON THE COB SALAD

1 cup frozen corn, cooked to death
1/4 cup roasted walnuts
Sprinkle of Reallime lime juice (I can usually have this, if you think you can't, zap it in the microwave for ten seconds and try it that way)
Crumbled feta cheese or goat cheese to taste
Salt and pepper

Stir all this together in a small bowl, and enjoy as a side with whatever else you are having. It goes with everything!

3 comments:

  1. I am looking for more information about oral allergies. I have already looked at http://www.southdaleallergy.yourmd.com and some other sites. Do you know where I can find more info?

    ReplyDelete